How to Watch “House of Cards” on Netflix from Anywhere

Hotspot Shield Blog_Watch House of Cards on Netflix from Outside US

If you’re a fan of the American political drama, “House of Cards”, you should be excited that the 3rd season of the series will be back on Netflix starting on February 27th, 2015.

Unfortunately, for those living abroad, you will not be able to access Netflix’s US content. This is due to complicated licensing rights which only allows subscribers living in the US to get access to Netflix’s content.

But, there is a work around to this, which will enable you to watch any content on Netflix from anywhere abroad.

Use Hotspot Shield to bypass Netflix’s Geo-Blocking

As mentioned, Netflix can block access to its content if you’re staying abroad. How does Netflix know?

Netflix checks your IP address to determine where you are connecting to the Web from. An IP address is a 11 digit code assigned to your device by your local internet service provider.

The good news is that you can use Hotspot Shield to get a virtual U.S. IP address. By connecting virtually to the our servers in the U.S. and using our IP address, you will appear to Netflix as if you’re connecting to its site from the U.S.

Step by Step Instructions to Installing Hotspot Shield and Accessing Netflix’s US Content

If you have an active account with Netflix and are staying abroad, below are the step by step instructions to using Hotspot Shield to get access to Netflix. The Hotspot Shield app is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.

1) Download and install Hotspot Shield on your device. Download Hotspot Shield now:

• on your iOS device

• on your Android device

• on your PC/Mac

2) Upgrade to Hotspot Shield Elite to benefit from faster speed, unlimited and unrestricted access to your favorite content. The Elite version comes with 9 virtual locations and enables you to protect up to 5 devices simultaneously.

3) Select “U.S.” as your virtual location.

4) Open Netflix, sign-in or “Start Your Free Month”, grab some popcorn, enjoy House of Cards Season 3 and many more shows!

17 Responses to How to Watch “House of Cards” on Netflix from Anywhere

1. David Forden February 27, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

How about on my TV?

• Levent Sapci
      Levent Sapci February 27, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

Hi David, You mean using Hotspot Shield on your TV? Currently Hotspot Shield is available on desktop (Windows & Mac), iOS and Android devices. However that would be great to have it on smart TVs as well. I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our product manager. Thanks!

• ana March 1, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

Hi! I have tried to watch amazon prime or PBS using my hotspot shield elite on my macbook pro. But it doesn’t work. The shield is active and working but I can’t seem to “mislead” the websites. The hotspot shield shows I’m in the US, but they won’t buy it. It used to work fine a long time ago. I guess before the latest software upgrades.

Is there anything that can be done?
        Thank you!

• Kev March 1, 2015 at 3:06 am #

Hi David, in response to your suggestion. I have a LG smart tv and it would be great to be able download Hotspot shield Elite and connect to broadband to watch catchup tv in the UK. I live in Spain.

2. Richard Bost February 28, 2015 at 1:28 am #

I have never been able to get Netflix to work using hotspot shield

I’m in Ireland, but Netflix, somehow determines I’m in Germany, so it gives me a very limited selection in German!

• Levent Sapci
      Levent Sapci February 28, 2015 at 4:48 pm #

Hi Richard, We’d like to help with this. We need more info to investigate. Could you please submit a support request: https://hsselite.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new? And we’ll get back to you quickly. Thanks!
      Levent from the Hotspot Shield team-

3. TC February 28, 2015 at 10:26 pm #

I am using Hotspot Shield to watch Netflix in the gulf area. Some shows I can’t watch due to a message saying that the show is not available to be watched instantly at this time. Can you help figure that out?

• Levent Sapci
      Levent Sapci March 2, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Hi, Sure we’ll do our best to help you with that. Could you please submit a support request via our help desk: https://hsselite.zendesk.com/hc/en-us. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

4. Jorge March 1, 2015 at 5:15 am #

It would be NICE to perform Hotspot Shield on devices like “Airport Time Capsule” and Apple TV”. Working fine on ios devices.

5. Carol Lawrence March 1, 2015 at 11:06 am #

Can I plug my computer or Ipad into my tv to watch US shows while I’m in Canada?

• Levent Sapci
      Levent Sapci March 2, 2015 at 1:46 pm #

Hi, if you’re using HSS on your iPad or computer and want to connect to your TV, your iPad/computer will see other devices on the local network but if you’re trying to connect to you’re iPad/computer while you use Hotspot Shield from your TV, then your TV won’t see those devices on the local network. In other words, the answer is yes if he you’re using Hotspot Shield on your device and wants to connect to your TV from that device. And no if you have Hotspot Shield on your device and want to connect to your device from the TV. Hope this helps! More question? Do not hesitate, we’re here to help. Submit a support request via our help desk: https://hsselite.zendesk.com/hc/en-us. Thanks!

• VT July 30, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

A little confused sorry… can I do airplay from my ipad/phone on to the tv using apple tv?

So to be clear: I have an ipad on which if I were to use the Hotspot sheild to watch netflix in India, then can mirror my ipad on to the tv using apple tv?

Are there any other ways of watching netflix on tv using HSS?

• Levent Sapci
          Levent Sapci August 3, 2015 at 3:06 pm #

Hi, Currently, we only provide official support for the following supported devices:

**Supported devices:**

* Windows and Mac desktops
          * iOS devices such as iPhones, iPads and iPod touches
          * Android phones and tablets, only unrooted devices
          * Windows Phones/Tablets (With Windows 8.1 only)

Because Hotspot Shield sets all the settings dynamically, there is no way to configure the devices listed below to connect to the VPN directly.

**Unsupported devices:**

* **Gaming consoles**, including Sony PlayStations, Microsoft Xboxes and Nintendo Wiis.
          * **Streaming devices**, including Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android box, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, XBMC/Kodi and Smart TVs.
          * **Other mobile and desktop devices**, including Blackberry phones, Kindle devices (that do not have access to Google Play), Linux devices (including Chromebooks), rooted Android devices, and Windows phones and tablets with old OS versions.
          * **Routers**. We do not provide support to manually configure routers to connect to our servers, this is not what our service is designed for.

Hope this answer your question. Have a good week.
          Levent from the Hotspot Shield Team-

6. Far March 2, 2015 at 11:00 am #

HOC is available in all countries where Netflix is accessible, then again, HotSpot Shield worlds marvelously for those other shows I cannot access normally. Also, can too guys make it so I can turn in the service Ivan settings and not the app itself??

• Levent Sapci
      Levent Sapci March 2, 2015 at 5:45 pm #

Hi Far, yes though what about all the people who are located in countries where Netflix in not yet available? If you look at this map there are still a lot of countries where Netflix is still not available. So they can use Hotspot Shield to access to Netflix no matter where they live. Also House of Cards might be available in all countries where Netflix is available though it is not the case for many other TV shows and movies that are only available in certain countries because of licensing deals. If you have any question, we’re here to help: submit a support request via our help desk (https://hsselite.zendesk.com/hc/en-us), we’ll be happy to help.
      Levent from the Hotspot Shield Team-

7. Get American Netflix March 3, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

Somebody effectively assist for making seriously posts I’d say. That is the very first time I visit your blog web site and thus much? I’m surprised while using the exploration you made to produce this kind of post astounding… Get US Netflix within just a few clicks using Hotspot Shield: Impressive!