This World Cup event will kick off in June 12 and lasts until until 13 July. There will be 32 teams from all over the world competing for the coveted prize, the World Cup tropy. What’s your favorite team? Who’s gonna win it all?
For many of us who are not lucky enough to get tickets or be able to travel to Brazil to watch the matches live, we can still follow the tournament on TV or online.
According to a survey conducted by YUME, most people in the US are expected to watch the World Cup on their smart phone or tablet devices.
You can catch your favorite match-ups by following the full match calendar here.
But what if you don’t have cable subscription and want to watch the World Cup online?
So is there a way to watch the world cup online for free?
Watch BBC’s Coverage of the World Cup Online for Free
If you prefer BBC’s coverage and want to get live streaming of the World Cup for free, you can watch the World Cup with the BBC iPlayer or iTV. The BBC’s soccer commentary is much better than the US I believe.
Additionally, all BBC content will be available on demand through BBC iPlayer if you happen to miss the live matches.
The iPlayer is the internet media streaming service for BBC. Note that only those with a UK IP address can access BBC and iTV services due to GeoLocation IP blocking. Luckily, getting a U.K. IP address is quite easy.
To get a UK IP address, you can download our Hotspot Shield VPN app and use our HSS Elite VPN service to connect to a VPN server in the U.K. Hotspot Shield will then assign you a U.K. IP address and you can access the BBC iPlayer as if you are residing in the U.K. Just make sure that you have fast broadband connection.
If you happen to be streaming the World Cup at a public WiFi hotspot, the good news is that Hotspot Shield will protect and secure your device, preventing hackers from stealing your sensitive information.
Hotspot Shield has support for multiple devices and platforms so you can watch the World Cup via BBC on your Mac laptop, Windows PC, Android tablet, or iOS smartphone.
Step by Step Instruction on How to Connect to BBC to Watch the World Cup via Hotspot Shield
1)Go to hotspotshield.com and download Hotspot Shield. Once it’s installed, it will turn on and connect automatically.
2. To be able to access the videos on BBC iPlayer, you will need to change your virtual location to United Kingdom. On the Hotspot Shield interface, select United Kingdom in the dropdown menu next to Virtual Location.
3. Now, you’re connected to the Internet virtually from the UK. To verify that you are virtually located in the UK, visit whatismyipaddress.com. You will see that you have a UK IP address and your location is in the UK.
4. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and go to any video that you would like to play and you will see that you are able to watch them. All World Cup games will be available online here. Enjoy!
Need Technical Support or Have Questions?
If you have difficulties using Hotspot Shield and need support or have questions, refer to the resources below:
- Hotspot shield help desk: https://hsselite.zendesk.com/home
- Support team can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
World Cup Give Away – Win Some Cool Prizes
Throughout the duration of the World Cup event, AnchorFree will be hosting 3 consecutive giveaways on our Facebook page. You can enter the contest via our Facebook page for the chance to win a PS4 console, a FIFA14 game and a Hotspot Shield Elite 1 year license.